Location: Buffalo, NY
CleanCapital is a leading clean energy investment platform that uses software and data to make it easy to invest in clean energy. CleanCapital has built a proprietary technology platform that identifies, screens, and manages clean energy projects providing project owners and developers with access to liquidity and capital. We were founded in 2015 and are headquartered in New York City. CleanCapital was the Clean Energy Start Up of the Year for 2018!
Our firm owns and manages nearly $500M of distributed operating solar assets. By leveraging our leading edge technology platform to evaluate renewable energy investments with speed and certainty, we enable project owners an opportunity to exit their portfolios while providing accredited investors, including institutional investors, unique access to the clean energy investment market. Our mission is to accelerate investment in all sectors of clean energy to address the urgent threat of climate change.
Reporting to the President, this role is responsible for developing and implementing strategy to bring accounting in-house and includes all aspects of financial reporting, debt service reporting, supporting audit and tax processes, accounts payable and any other financial related task each monthly accounting cycle. This role is responsible for ensuring accurate financial close within tight deadlines, as well as preparing the financial statements for all portfolios assigned to you under CleanCapital’s management.
This position will oversee the preparation of balance sheet account reconciliations, accrual management, profit and loss analytics, statement of cash flow analysis (if applicable), and financial statement reporting (in either/both US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, known as “GAAP”, or International Financial Reporting Standards, known as “IFRS”) to various internal and external stakeholders. In addition, this role will oversee all debt reporting and compliance and equity distributions to investors, as well as manage annual budget reporting.
- Develop and implement a strategy to bring all fund accounting in-house.
- Take ownership of assigned companies, acting as the main point of contact for those outside the department.
- Prepare and document analysis for complex accounting issues, present the findings and conclusions, including the implementation plan to the Accounting group, as well as impacted stakeholders.
- Prepare accounting and financial statements for Solar assets and other renewable energy asset classes CleanCapital may acquire (battery storage, wind, etc.).
- Prepare Journal entries as part of the monthly, quarterly and annual close process.
- Prepare debt service reports or deliverables(quarterly and biannual depending on fund) for all lender counterparties and initiate distributions.
- Prepare quarterly equity distribution analyses for all portfolios and initiate equity distributions.
- Coordinate with internal departments to prepare monthly and quarterly variance analysis.
- Review and maintain monthly general ledger accounts and reconciliations to ensure accuracy of financial statements.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly account reconciliations.
- Monitor and improve upon internal controls to ensure SOX compliance and work directly with the audit team to provide quarterly and year-end audit support.
- Lead or participate in special projects as needed within the department, within a broader finance environment and/or cross-functionally.
- Ensure all intercompany relationships and balances are fully researched and resolved.
- Make recommendations in the continual improvement of the audit workpapers and overall program, in coordination with team members and leaders.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned by direct supervisor/manager and/or his/her designee.
- Develop annual budgets for each portfolio under management.
- Oversee annual audit and tax preparation for each portfolio.
- Management and oversight of those performing bookkeeping services, either contractors or employees
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
- Excellent communication interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to “think outside the box” and embrace a dynamic, complex, fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
- Effective project management skills, able to prioritize multiple tasks
- Call on past experiences, industry trends and new technology to identify opportunities to improve and streamline processes.
- Flexible and able to adapt quickly to changing priorities
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Able to work overtime hours during peak periods as required
- Occasional travel required
Minimum of 5 years of relevant accounting experience
- BA/BS degree required
- Active Certified Public Accountant Licensure (or equivalent, such as a Certified
- Management Accountant or a Chartered Accountant).
- Proficient in MS office (Excel, Work, Outlook) or other ERP systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls (specific SOX experience is considered an asset)
- Experience in solar, fund accounting, acquisition accounting, or auditing are a plus
Reports directly to the President and future Head of Operations Company
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This role will be based in Buffalo, NY. Occasional travel expected
CleanCapital, LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants in all company facilities without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws..